Thursday, December 12, 2013

New Year's Resolution #1

New Year's Resolution #1: I need to write.

One of my students has started writing a book. It's not Nobel Prize material, but I can't help but be a little jealous. I wish that when I was a freshmen in high school that I had 67 pages of imagination to show for my time. Some other students are even regular participants in National Novel Writing Month. I could make the excuse that I can't write a novel because of my crazy work schedule, but these girls' days are even more scheduled than mine between all of their AP courses, club commitments, and sports.

My real struggle isn't my schedule -- it's ideas. I blame whoever said "write what you know." In terms of life experiences, I feel like I have a lot. Between a long-distance relationship, my time in France, travel, and teaching, I have plenty of stories to tell; however, a lot of those stories can't be told. If I write about teaching, whether positively or negatively, students and parents could see it and someone could be offended. If I write about crazy travel stories, someone could be offended. If I want to write about anything controversial, someone could be offended.

I guess for now, at least in my private journaling, I'll take David Sedaris' advice.


No comments:

Post a Comment