Thursday, May 8, 2014

The World is a Book

print via etsy

On Tuesday, I officially put in my letter of resignation at my job. It's been a long time coming, but with not knowing exactly where we're going to be in the fall, it was hard to fully say that I was going to walk away at the end of this school year. 

There has been so much going on in our district and so many other people leaving our department, that I've felt a lot of guilt. Students have been asking constantly if I was going to stay on with advising Academic Decathlon and NHS, if I was teaching juniors next year, if anyone has approached me about being a TA, and on and on. Monday night after the NHS inductions, I knew I had to just rip off the bandaid, but I tossed and turned all night thinking about telling my students. I told my sophomore classes yesterday and will tell the rest of them on Friday. 

I'm doing my best to be optimistic about the changes to come. I know that this summer in Washington will be amazing, especially with Zora and all of the visitors we'll be having, but who knows what will happen when summer is over. We could be in Boston, Florida, Michigan, LA, Texas, South Korea -- really anywhere. I'm also uncertain about whether I want to keep teaching high school. This might be the right time for me to move on with my education and teach at the university level like I had always planned. Or maybe I shouldn't be in education at all and just find a totally new path. It's exciting and scary to think of starting over. 

With that, last night I got pre-maturely homesick for this state and decided to buy myself a present -- a little Arizona charm necklace. I look forward to having a little reminder of home wherever I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment