Monday, August 18, 2014

What I'm Reading: Vol. 6

via behance.net

The other night the electricity went out and I started reading The Road by flashlight. When the power came back on, I stopped and we stayed up late watching How to Marry a Millionaire. In high school, I remember having a timed write on a really gruesome Cormac McCarthy passage and then for one of my classes in college, I had to read All the Pretty Horses. I didn't mind either of them, but wasn't deeply affected in any way -- not so with The Road.

We went to Starbucks the next morning for Tyler to get some work done and I finished the book while we were there, a puddle of tears sipping cold coffee. The novel is a post-apocalyptic story about a father and son trying to stay alive and stay away from "bad guys," groups of survivors who have resorted to cannibalism. The will to survive and the relationship between the father and son were heartrending and beautiful and written with such simplicity that I couldn't stop turning pages. 

via tumblr

Here are a few of my favorite parts:

You don't believe me.
I believe you.
Okay.
I always believe you.
I don't think so.
Yes I do. I have to.
(Dialogue between the father and son, discussing their chances of survival)



If you break little promises you'll break big ones. That's what you said.
(Son to father)



Query: How does the never to be differ from what never was?


How would you know if you were the last man on earth?


There were few nights lying in the dark that he did not envy the dead.


When you die it's the same as if everybody else did too.


When we're all gone at last then there'll be nobody here but death and his days will be numbered too. He'll be out in the road there with nothing to do and nobody to do it to. He'll say: Where did everybody go? And that's how it will be. What's wrong with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment