Thursday, September 18, 2014

TBT: Photo Edition -- NYC

I suppose this photo would have been more timely last Thursday, but here we are. The summer before I went into the sixth grade, I went to the east coast on my first flight ever. We went fishing in North Carolina, saw the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, spent time with family in New Jersey, and took the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. When we took this picture, I doubt I knew that the main feature of our backdrop was the Twin Towers. I didn't even know what they were until I saw that Simpsons episode where Homer has to use the bathroom and it's out of order in one of the buildings so he has to go to the other one, etc. etc. 
Overall, it was a very memorable vacation and the first time that I ever took half-decent photographs on my own. I was particularly proud of my shot of a baseball game in Central Park with the stark buildings juxtaposing the greenery and the families with their fanny packs and lawn chairs. 
Aaron, Mindy, me, and Brett circa 1999
I don't remember very much from September 11, 2001. I was an eighth grader and as evidenced by my journal entries at the time, I didn't have much on my mind aside from the opposite sex. On September 10, there was a gas leak in the neighborhood that forced all of us middle-schoolers to evacuate to the elementary school down the street; my thirteen-year-old self was convinced that there had to be some sort of connection between the two events. School went on as normal, but we did have the news on during Social Studies. It seems the history teachers were the only ones permitted to acknowledge that some things are more important than school.

As photographs are apt to do, this one becomes more poignant with time. When I look at it, I think about how the world has changed, but also how much my family has changed and how lucky I am to still have all of them. My parents blessed the four of us with siblings and no matter where we are in the world, we will always have that bond. You can get through anything in life knowing that even though they've seen you at your worst (crying at the kitchen table over Rice-a-Roni, failing miserably at video games, whining about dial-up internet, and wearing blue eyeshadow with white eyeliner) your siblings still love you.

Here's to our growing family growing in love, no matter how far apart we may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment