Tuesday, September 9, 2014

What I'm Reading: Vol. 8

Last summer I discovered one of my now-favorite authors, David Sedaris. We were traveling along the east coast for a couple of weeks, and I had just learned how to download books onto my kindle from the library. I don't remember where I'd first heard of Sedaris, but in those couple of weeks, I flew through Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, Naked, Barrel Fever, When You Are Engulfed in Flames, and Holidays on Ice. I love his writing style and the way he weaves together stories from his past and present, every situation just as hilarious and bizarre as the next. His most recent Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls did not disappoint.


One of my favorite sections was about his anticlimactic experience with French health care. Here's an excerpt via NPR if you're interested. And for those of you with even less time, here's an excerpt from that excerpt:


The time before that, I was lying in bed and found a lump on my right side, just below my rib cage. It was like a deviled egg tucked beneath my skin. Cancer, I thought. A phone call and twenty minutes later, I was stretched out on the examining table with my shirt raised.
"Oh, that's nothing," the doctor said. "A little fatty tu­mor. Dogs get them all the time."
I thought of other things dogs have that I don't want: Dewclaws, for example. Hookworms. "Can I have it re­moved?"
"I guess you could, but why would you want to?"
He made me feel vain and frivolous for even thinking about it. "You're right," I told him. "I'll just pull my bathing suit up a little higher."
When I asked if the tumor would get any bigger, the doc­tor gave it a gentle squeeze. "Bigger? Sure, probably."
"Will it get a lot bigger?"
"No."
"Why not?" I asked.
And he said, sounding suddenly weary, "I don't know. Why don't trees touch the sky?"
M├ędioni works from an apartment on the third floor of a handsome nineteenth-century building, and, on leaving, I always think, Wait a minute. Did I see a diploma on his wall? Could "Doctor" possibly be the man's first name?




Now to put Sedaris' writing routines into practice and start writing every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment