Thursday, December 4, 2014

TBT: Journal Edition, Vol. 17

3/15/98

Dear Journal,

We're on are way to Grandpa's. I hope he'll let me climb his tree. It's so peaceful there. There are many branches to help you up, so I can get up there easily. 

I'm listening to Billy Joel now. He's cool! My favorite song of him is "We didn't start the Fire". 

Later...

Dear Journal,

We've finished our visit to Grandpa and Aunt Arlene. It was fun! I climbed the tree and I've found more spots to sit that are higher. I climbed the bigger tree, too.

I pretended, in the tree, that I was being attacked by a kidnapper and that I climbed to the highest point of the tree. It was great! Bye!

- Katie Anderson

P.S. I'll write tomorrow. 

via tumblr
Was anyone else this morbid as a child? I vividly remember sitting up in that tree and imagining what I would do if I was pursued by a kidnapper. I'm pretty sure it involved throwing leaves. I fantasized about being in an orphanage à la The Little Princess, too. Kids are weird. 

On a side note, "We Didn't Start the Fire" is a great song, but definitely not my favorite of Billy Joel's. 

Here are a few pictures from the last time we went to my grandparents' house before it was sold. The trees had been gone for years, but the can crusher was still there. :)




4 comments:

  1. Enjoy the memory of those wonderful mulberry trees. "Phoenix, Arizona has banned the planting of new mulberry trees due to the amount of pollen they produce." :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, we didn't start the fire is INCREDIBLY difficult to sing on karaoke. that alone is a point deduction

    ReplyDelete