Monday, January 12, 2015

Christmas with the Fleethams


Christmas is officially over (at least on our side of the house) and all of the decorations have been taken down. I am sad that it's done, but at the same time is it refreshing to clean up and see our space again for what it is -- a house in desperate need of some repainting and redecorating. Before we took everything down, I snapped some pictures if you'd like to see.






This was my first year with a real Christmas tree and it was a treat. Although I reminisce over my dad climbing the ladder, crawling into the attic, and retrieving our artificial tree, I have a feeling we'll be able to make this real tree thing work out. . 


When it comes to our stockings, I am still a little jealous of Tyler's penguin, but have come to appreciate the Dickens caroler on my own. I grew up thinking it was some kind of fancy snowman, but recent viewings of The Muppet Christmas Carol have led me to believe otherwise.



Whenever we went to Target, I resisted the urge to buy every piece of deep red Christmas decor but this $3 lantern won us over.


The holly tree in our front yard provided some natural green and red for end tables.


Last year I labored over ordering cards and ended up so sick that I was forced to pass them out to family members on Christmas night. This time around I made a point of getting our cards out earlier so that people would have our new address. We didn't get many cards before we left for our Arizona trip, but there were at least ten waiting for us once we came home.



Since we were married around Christmas, I picked up a set of these bells from Michael's to go on the sides of the chairs as I walked down the aisle. I love that I can put up the bells every Christmas and have a little piece of our wedding day there. 


Our driftwood tree was by far my favorite Christmas decoration this year. I'd seen them on pinterest and after a particularly bad storm left us with ample materials to choose from the beach, Tyler screwed the pieces together in about thirty minutes. We plan to leave it up year round and adapt it to each season. I'm thinking strings of red felt hearts and tacky Valentine's Day cards.

How long do you leave up your Christmas decorations? My sister had hers down before Christmas day was even over, but she was only a couple of weeks from her second baby being born. I suppose nesting is a good enough excuse. ;)

Here's a video of Zora enjoying "taking down" the tree.


Zora Takes the Tree Down from Katrina Fleetham on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I really love your driftwood tree! Now I just need to figure out where I can find driftwood in Arizona...hahahaha

    ReplyDelete