Monday, January 19, 2015

Jean Affirmations

via pinterest
On Halloween, I went jean shopping. The purchase was only somewhat related to the holiday, as I'd eaten one too many pieces of candy corn and ripped through the thigh of my last pair of skinny (ha) jeans.



I tried on about thirty pairs and was drowning in pant legs until one pair of "petite-size" jeans called out to me with its dark wash and 2% spandex. They were the first pair to not make me feel like I was playing dress-up in my mom's closet, and then I was intrigued by the affirmations covering the insides of the pockets.

You are beautiful.
You are stunning.
You are glamorous.
You are sexy.

Awfully forward for a pair of pants I'd only just met, but I was vulnerable and alone in that dressing room and at the moment, complimenting me was the way to get into my closet. Also, they were the only pair I wouldn't need to hem up six inches, so I laid my credit card with them in front of the register and never looked back. Until now.

In the spirit of New Year's resolutions, I think I'd prefer a pair of jeans that challenges me to be a better person. Instead of a waist band whose comfort rivals that of my sweatpants, I want that just-out-of-the-dryer fit with every wear. Instead of empty compliments, perhaps helpful reminders and to-do lists.

Taken your daily vitamins yet?
Have you been to the gym lately?
Don't forget to thaw the chicken.
Go easy on that coffee after 4pm. 
Is that a trail of toilet paper stuck to your shoe?

Thoughts?

2 comments: